Author Topic: Therion-related reading  (Read 57360 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« on: January 03, 2006, 06:29:39 pm »
Hi folks,

as we all know know, Therion lyrics are not too simple. There is a lot of literature they are referring to, a number of interesting topics they speak about. So I wonder: What Therion-related readings have you discovered? Did you like it, can you recommend it?

Let me start. The latest Therion-related book I read was the German translation of Jayne Gackenbach: Control your dreams. (Regarding lucid dreams and therefore Therion-related in a way.)

To be honest: The book is as stupid as the name of the author. Too few hints on how to improve dream memory or achieve lucidity, too much esoteric blabla and hocuspocus. Instead of giving us hints on how to become lucid she tells us that more people should meditate - that would lead to world peace, she claims - and that we can fight cancer in our dreams. Not worth reading, if you ask me.

As if that wasn´t enough, the translation was terrible. Stupid content, stupid language - a book for the dustbin.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Therion-related reading
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 06:36:56 pm »
Ehhhmmm... I use to read a lot, but... I confess... nothing Therion-related  :unsure:
At least now, I have no reading to report to you. But if someone tells any good book, maybe I'll try to read  :blush:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:36:13 pm »
Nevermind, Luth, someone else might have a good one - we can take our time for this thread. And be assured that I have or two or three more books to tell you about. ;)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 07:09:31 pm »
Hi folks,

another curiosity today, a more remotely Therion-related reading. But I promise to tell you about a dead-on Therion must-read soon.

By coincidence I became interested in incense and searched the local library for books on this topic. Lo and behold! the only two books they have are written by a certain Christian Rätsch: Dr. phil. with works on Ancient American cultures, ethno-pharmacologist and ethno-botanist. In one book he mentions a saga of incense being the food of goods, the other book is named "Dragon´s Breath".

Sounds vaguely familiar, eh? I bet this is the very same guy who translated "Svartalfheim" and "Prometheus entfesselt".

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 06:18:15 pm »
Hi folks,

I promised you a real Therion-must-read, and here we go....

Hermann Hesse: Demian is the story of the spiritual development of a young man named Sinclair. Demian becomes a friend and a kind of guide for Sinclair in this journey.

It begins when the little boy Sinclair realizes that there are two worlds - the light world of his parents´ house and the dark world outside. Although that dark world is dangerous, it´s also strangely attractive to Sinclair. The first big step is taken when he gets to know Demian, who tells him a different version of the story of the Mark of Cain.

Later Demian writes Sinclair a letter about a certain picture and explains: "The bird struggles out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who wants to be born, must destroy a world. The bird flies to God. The god is called Abraxas."

I am convinced that Thomas was inspired by "Demian" when he wrote "Abraxas"! So if you want to understand the background of this song, you ought to read this book. It´s not even long - just 160 pages - and written so well that it´s a pleasure to read. So I declare it a must-read - off to the library, everybody! (Or who knows, it might be available online somewhere.)

Cheers!

Markus

P.S.: I´ve got a few more good ones here, but I won´t tell unless you post something here.:P Come on - anything Therion-related. :)
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Therion-related reading
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 08:11:01 pm »
Hesse is one of my favorite authors and I've read Demian twice. Last time was like four months ago :). However, my favourite Hesse's book is the Steppenwolf ... it is not very Therion related but i found it less bland (the story itself) than Demian. On the other side, I agree that it could be Therion-related... the Mark of Cain, Abraxas, etc... I don't know if Thomas was directly inspered by it, or by a third source that also inspired Hesse. I'll read a little bit more about it to find out.

Another marginally Therion-related book: The art of Dreaming by Carlos Castaneda, it is a kind of novel with some insructions to control your dreams... In other words: Lucid Dreaming! It is very dark and hard to understand if you havn't read the previous Castaneda's books (starting with the teachings of Don Juan).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 08:12:00 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:12:57 pm »
You´re right in both cases, Aluqak. The story of "Demian" just seems to be a wrapping for the philosophical content. But I enjoyed the reading anyway, because of my curiosity and because of the good language use. And yes, there might be a third source that both Hesse and Karlsson quoted almost literally. But I have never heard of such a source before. In case you find anything, please let us know. :)

I thought about reading Castaneda, but always refrained from it. Would you recommend it?

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Therion-related reading
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 09:29:53 pm »
Yes, I would recommend Castaneda, especially the first four books. Not as Therion-related reading, but as something that might help you growth. The first book is very anthropological and not so good as the other three, but I think it is better if to start from the begining. The art of dreaming is among his last works, I read it pretty quickly... and well... I stick with the first four books.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 09:30:53 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 10:14:03 pm »
Mmmmhh... interesting. Although I don't have time now, I like this kind of reading if they are intelligent, and I like to learn from them... in a general sense. They help me to think about facts I use to not think usually. Well, some year I'll  try the Castaneda works   :ph34r:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 05:17:09 pm »
Ey Markus!

I don't use to download the books, but to buy them or borrow them in the public library but... as I've found it in emule, and I think it's no so easy to find in the library, and it's short...

Well, I'm downloading the Herman Hesse "Demian" (no sure if it's in english or spanish, but both would be ok for me). When I'll finish my Mark Haddon and my Saramago's books, I'll read it, I promise it!  :evil:

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 08:03:03 pm »
I have Demian. It's in spanish, although it didn't say it in the name of the file...  :rolleyes:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 10:51:51 am »
Well done, Luth! I hope you´ll like it as much as I did. :)

Cheers!

Markus

(Still got a few good books in stock, though. :D)
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
Therion-related reading
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 02:27:21 am »
I have Demian. It's in spanish, although it didn't say it in the name of the file...  :rolleyes:
[snapback]6334[/snapback]

Cool! Share! I am interested... ^_^

I got a bunch of H.P. Lovecraft's writings (in spanish). I have not had the time to read them all, but by reading on some of the names of his writings one can't but think of Therion. For example "Dagon" and  "The Call of Cthulhu" . Hope by this week I can finish reading one of them to give a more detailed opinion  ^_^
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:50:21 am by Markus »

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 10:56:45 am »
Ey Markus & Eresh! Today I've had some time (thanks to my beloved train and metro), and I've started the reading of Demian. Only two chapters for the moment, but I'm really enjoying it. It's long time since I want to read the Steppenwolf, and now I'm reading Demian instead. Markus fault! :ph34r:

I don't know how long this reading will take, as even being so short book, I have no time for nothing besides some work I've got for a full month. Maybe next train travel, or before going to bed; I think it's worth to be read in short. When Eresh will finish it, we can comment the reading. But not before she will have read all... we don't wish spoilers here! :evil:

PS. Now I want more to read Steppenwolf :(

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 11:38:11 am »
Hi folks,

I'm glad to hear that, Luth. :) And I wonder whether Eresh can tell us more about Lovecraft in the meantime?

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
Therion-related reading
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 12:31:05 pm »
Heya guys!

Yesterday I took back again on the reading of Demian. I am about to begin "Beatrice". Like Luthien, this reading is taking more time than expected.

And later, tonight will tell more more about Lovecraft  :D

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 12:21:40 pm »
Hi bookworms,

say, Eresh, how did you like Lovecraft?

As you may know I have just read Karlsson's "Uthark". Think I'll post a review in the next few days. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
Therion-related reading
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 02:13:41 pm »
I took a look in this topic, thinking I wouldn't be lucky enough to actually find in the Romanian libraries related to Therion, but I checked
in my e-book collection for Hesse and found 4 books!  :lol:

Hope I can go through Demian this week-end and then read Steppenwolf. But there are 2 more which none mentioned: Siddharta and The inner route.
Some review for those?  :blink:

Namarie!

PS. Luth, I could give you the Steppenwolf file (in Spanish).

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
Therion-related reading
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 04:05:15 pm »
PS. Luth, I could give you the Steppenwolf file (in Spanish).
[snapback]7065[/snapback]

Thanks Elisabeth, but I think I'll borrow from the public library I have 50 m. far from home  :P

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
Therion-related reading
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 06:29:55 pm »
Thanks Elisabeth, but I think I'll borrow from the public library I have 50 m. far from home  :P
[snapback]7068[/snapback]
50 miles is a long way.
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com