Author Topic: What makes a good Metal article?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
What makes a good Metal article?
« on: July 02, 2005, 06:05:21 pm »
Hi all!

I sometimes interview people and then write it up into an article for a magazine (not web-based).

I'd like to know your opinions on what actually makes a Metal article good to read.

Do you like to read discussions about latest album/lyrics, concerts, or maybe stuff away from music  - people's other interests?

Do you like lots of narrative, or do you like to see lots of quotes?  Do you like Question/Answer style like most web-based stuff, or do you like a bit of background/atmosphere to come from the author?

Or anything else?  All opinions gratefully received!  :)

Cheers!

voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 09:07:49 pm »
Weeeeeeeeeell... *thinking hard*... I'm not the best one to tell it, as I don't use to read a lot of metal articles, but I'll make an efford. Sirius ask us, we have to do our best  :ph34r:

An article is supposed to be written for some event, like a new CD release or a new gig, so it's ever good talking about that event, of course. But not only this. I don't like the interviews in which there's only Question-Reply-Question-Reply, although sometimes it can be interessant, depending on the questions and the interest of the replies. But I prefer some writting of the author, specially if s/he knows enough about the band and is a good writter. Personal impressions are good, if it doesn't become a "Oh, they're Gods, what a fucking new disc! OMFG!". It gives some personal taste to the article.

I don't know, if I think in something more I'll write here.
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 09:29:50 pm »
The band's projects and summarized reviews as well as a background.  ^_^

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 11:35:24 pm »
Hi all!
I sometimes interview people and then write it up into an article for a magazine (not web-based).
I'd like to know your opinions on what actually makes a Metal article good to read.
Do you like to read discussions about latest album/lyrics, concerts, or maybe stuff away from music  - people's other interests?
Do you like lots of narrative, or do you like to see lots of quotes?  Do you like Question/Answer style like most web-based stuff, or do you like a bit of background/atmosphere to come from the author?
Or anything else?  All opinions gratefully received!  :)
Cheers!
[snapback]4461[/snapback]
Hey Sirus,
I think that an article (not only a Metal article) is good to read when it reflects the personallity of both the writer and the topic (s)he is writing about (a Metal band for example). Personally, I prefer the chronicles beacuse I like to feel that somebody is telling me a story, and a chronicle is exactly that. I also think that a good article is improved when some quotings are added and mixed up with personal impressions from the author. At the end of the article I usually like to know what the author thinks about the topic (s)he is writing about, that will usually lead me to learn more about it. Of course, if I agree with the author about his(her) impressions I'll try to read others of his (her) articles.
Cheers and good luck :).
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?