Author Topic: Concert reviews  (Read 215926 times)

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 09:35:31 pm »
Mmmmmm, I´m a bit unquiet;
I´ve heard something about a 3 day festival here, in the Basque Country, exactly in Gernika, the 12-13 & 14 in August. It´s called Metalway, and they say that Judas Priest are confirmed; and Accept, Children of Bodom, Sodom, Kreator, Obituary, Sonata Arctica, Su Ta Gar, Soziedad Alkoholika... The Metalway page is under construction yet, but in many forums ppl talks about it. I´ll be so happy :rolleyes:
On the other hand, DIO is confirmed here, in Bergara next June (18) and the day after, Anthrax...oh my god! :ph34r:
Me pica la medusaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggg!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Concert reviews
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 09:58:43 pm »
Wooooow! You will have to take pills or something to hold out that rythm!! :D
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 10:52:40 pm »
Pills or maybe a....credit B)

Offline stay heavy

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 03:50:21 am »
Man I envy you! specially for Dio and Anthrax,enjoy it and good luck!
I WAS TAUGHT TO SHINE AND NOT REFLECT

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 12:47:37 am »
17€ more spent. Finntroll´s show finished one hour and a half ago. It´s been f***ing great. The played only for 1h 05min but... the first band playing was Amoral. I haven´t heard anything of them before, and they surprised us; They sound fantastic. After them, the swedish Naglfar played for 45 minutes. A bit noisy for my taste...and then Finntroll came... :rolleyes:

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Concert reviews
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 02:47:37 pm »
Wow, Finntroll is one of those bands I really would like to see live some day. Their albums are so amusing... I cannot image how they will be live.
From this side of the Atlantic I can only tell you that I just missed a Sonata Arctica concert last fryday (sold out, and nobody selling extra tickets :angry:).
But who cares, next week Soilwork is on the agenda... and this time I have my ticket :D.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 05:17:50 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Concert reviews
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2005, 02:50:22 pm »
BTW JR, How does Finntroll manage to do the introductory "special effets" live?... you know, cracking bones, blacksmith noises, Troll growlings, etc...
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 09:25:38 pm »
Oh, no special effects live!! not yesterday at least. There ware two pre-recorded intros and the rest with the keyboard. ^_^  But the show was fucking great!!!!

About the "Metalway ghost festival" new rumours of bands playing; WASP and Primal Fear are already confirmed. On the other hand, there´s a rumour that Manowar will lead one of the three days :ph34r:
and that negotiations are advanced with Nightwish, Dimmu Borgir... :ph34r:

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Concert reviews
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 03:41:34 pm »
OK, it's my turn now.
Yesterday, 1500 metalheads gathered at the Theatre du Capitole in Québec city to see (and hear) the Scandinavian invasion. Mnemic, Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquillity and Soilwork were at the menu.

I didn't know Mnemic, a NuMetal band from Denmark... given that I don't like NuMetal, this band wasn't anything special for me :mellow:.... Two quick beers DURING the show.

Hypocrisy kicked major ass!!! :lol: Hard stuff, a prewerfull presence in the scence and a very good response from the crowd (which is pretty unnormal in this cold city). One beer AFTER the show.

I went to this show specially because of Dark Tranquillity, I've been waiting for 8 years to see them live, and well, I finally did!! I was a little bit disappointed because they played too much stuff from their last album (4 song) and only one song from the Gallery... and any song from the Mind's I :angry:.
Their set list was something like this:
The treason wall
Lost to apathy
Through Smudged Lenses
The new build
The wonders at your feet
Punish my heaven
Monochromatic stains
My negation
Final resistance
They played for only 50 minutes, but the show itself was OK, and the crowd was completely insane. One beer and a lot of Adrenaline AFTER the show. The best part is that I'll have the chance to see them again in a month in Colombia :D, and this time they'll be headliners :P.

Soilwork: I'm not the biggest soilwork fan, I especially dislike the last two albums...but last night they gave us a VERY soild show. I was very impressed by the quallity of the new drummer. I don't remember well the setlist but it included Chainheart Machine, Room No 99, Bastard Chain, Nerve, Needlefeast, Follow The Hollow, As We Speak, Figure Number Five, The Flameout, Stabbing The Drama, Sadistic Lullabye... and five or six more songs. One beer DURING the show

At the end of the show I had the chance to chat for a while with Mikael Stane (the DT singer), a very calm and gentle guy, he singed one of my cds and all. I drank my last beer with him.

In general, I'd say that those were can$30 very well spent :D. If you want to see some photos of the show go here
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 06:42:18 pm by Aluqak »
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2005, 02:03:26 am »
3 hours ago finished Lacrimosa´s 2005 tours second show, here in the Basque Country, in Bergara.
Supporting them Gothminister, a good goth/industrial band from Norway. Interesting band. Thay played for 45 minutes and at 22 o´clock "Lacrimosa Theme" started sounding...It has been a great show, but:

- I think that one of the guitar players is not good enough for thi band; he was not able to play the first note in each solo, he always started in the second one... :unsure:
- They played some songs in different ways that  they used to; f.e. "Seele in not" :mellow:
- Anne Nurmi is so pretty, but a very-very bad singer. :wacko:

If you can, have the Lacrimosa´s experience B)

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2005, 08:11:31 pm »
June 18th, other 22€...
DIO...absolutely fantastic, as he usually does. The band supporting him is also a great couple of musicians.
RJD, thank you.

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
Concert reviews
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2005, 01:39:48 am »
Heya Guys!

I went to see Deicide...I won't say much because most of what I think you can find it at this live review I wrote myself:

EbM

It's right on the front page, where it says "Latest Live Review".

September the 9th: Morbid Angel! \m/

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
Concert reviews
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2005, 01:48:47 pm »
Heya Guys!

I went to see Deicide...I won't say much because most of what I think you can find it at this live review I wrote myself:

EbM

It's right on the front page, where it says "Latest Live Review".

September the 9th: Morbid Angel! \m/
[snapback]4623[/snapback]
Hey Eresh, that's a cool review!  :)

For me it's Arcturus in October.
I was lucky enough to speak to Hugh & Simen on Friday  :D .  This was the first time I've ever spoken to them and they were really cool guys!  Can't wait for the show!
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
Concert reviews
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2005, 03:31:24 pm »
Hi!

Thanks Sirius!

I am also open to comments and critics  :ph34r:

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
Concert reviews
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2005, 10:29:35 pm »
But that would be off topic  :P

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Concert reviews
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2005, 01:27:24 am »
Hey Eresh nice review!
From the little I know about you, I'd never imagined you in a Deicide show...
Anyway, I had the chance to see deicide a couple of months ago here in town. Pretty nice show, with a small crowd mostly composed by old-style metal heads.
Actually, when I was reading your review I felt as if you were reviewing the Québec's show ... It was almost the same thing. Perhaps, the only different part was the "finale", here we got a fire near the stage (wrong wiring or something) instead of a riot. :lol:

BTW, my next show will be good a one (hopefully): THERION!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 01:29:24 am by Aluqak »
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
Concert reviews
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2005, 03:59:08 am »
Hihi ^_^

Thanks Aluqak. Yeah, weird to se a girl on this shows, but how was I going to miss it if we are talking about a legendary band like Deicide  :) . Most of the crowd there was the ol' school guys that one hardly sees anymore at the concerts.

Now, I won't miss Morbid Angel either  (they got a Salvadorian drummer  :o \m/, must be the first time in decades he comes back to his land).

Btw...there is also a show scheduled for Therion here on Oct.13th. However it has not been confirmed yet  :(

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
Concert reviews
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2005, 04:39:59 am »
Yeay! I just found out great news. Angra will be coming to town on Sept. 22! So Sept. the 9th Morbid Angel, then on the 22 Angra! and then still to be confirmed Therion on Oct the 13.

I'm so excited about the month of September! *Jumps up and down*

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 04:31:49 pm »
Hi;
Recovered (the weekend has been too long), i´m trying to transmit what i felt in the Metalway Festival last weekend in the mythical Gernika.

Finish my work at 13:00 and i took the car straight to Gernika, eating only a little sandwich while i drove faster than Coulthard did. :ph34r:
The show started on friday at 16:00 (16:15 exactly, when we were queuing up for the bracelets) under the sun, with SONATA ARCTICA. This was a new band for me, and i liked them even the sound wasn´t good enough because the wind. They finished the 50 minutes set with "The Cage".
Then, 20 minutes changing over, and TIERRA SANTA. We haven´t seen them. We went to see the shops of the little market.
Came back to see the 3rd band. A basque one called SOZIEDAD ALKOHOLIKA. They play metal/hard-core with gutural voice. 60 minutes of good sound and better songs.
At 20:30 started their gig SENTENCED on their last tour. Maybe it wasn´t the best place and moment for this band. Under the sun, hot and sometimes windy...
The night came, and with it, the lights and the tv screens :rolleyes:
Next band, OBITUARY; supper time.
23:30; MOTORHEAD. The gig started delayed (half an hour), and after that, some problems with Lemmys amplifier made the show a bit cold. Some songs they played: "Killers", "Over the Top", "Dancing on your Grave", "In the name of Tragedy", "Killed by Death" and the final with "Ace of Spades" and a fantastic "Overkill". Great final for an irregular 70 minutes show.
And Korn came, and we go to bed. We saw 4 songs of Korns show, but definitely, it´s not for me. Good sound, good lights and big show, with two big jails where some fans saw the gig; but i don´t like their music.

The second day started with SODOM at 16:00. We saw them finishing. As the day before, the wind fucked the sound. PRIMAL FEAR had the same problem with the wind, but they gave us a correct one hour show including "Metal is Forever". Great voice.
At 19:00 came the second basque band, SU TA GAR. Good show but IMO they played too many new songs. In a festival like this, i think they had to play a more classical set... :unsure:
The first myth of the day came too early. SAXON started the gig at 20:15. "Heavy Metal Thunder" was the first.. People asked for "Crusader" and Mr. Byford said that there was too much light for "crusader". He was right, but we finally had our "Crusader". Good show.
The darkness came when CHILDREN OF BODOM started their show. What a difference when the night comes and all the lights start working, and when you can see all the details of a guitar solo in a big screen! they made a great show, i liked.
KREATOR time, supper time.
And...ladies and gentlemen, from the United States of America...MANOWAR. "Manowar", "Kings of Metal", "Warriors of the World", "Carry On", "Black Wind, Fire and Steel", "Heart of Steel"...and Logan´s and De Maio´s solos with the usual De Maio´s speech about what Manowar means, finished a long metallic day.

Fatigue and a cycling race made us delay for the last day. We lose MACHINE MEN, LABYRINTH and BEYOND FEAR...and almost MOONSPELL. Saw only "Opium", "Mephisto" and "Wolfshade". It´s a pity; i like this band :(
APOCALYPTICA made a very big show. Some friends of mine haven´t seen them before and they get positively surprised. Good job of the drummer. But the show was too short, only an hour :(
RUNNING WILD, supper time. We saw the last one..."Under Jolly Roger". Good, but the drums a bit low.
At 23:45 the best show i saw on the festival; WASP. They played their old songs (the newest one The Idol 1992) like "animal-fuck like a beast", "inside the electric circus", "i wanna be somebody", "Wild Child"...and a special mention for the drummer, who made a very-very good job. 75 minutes of ecstasy. :lol:
The final started at 01:30 when ACCEPT continued with the myth. The rain also wanted to see them for a moment; "Starlight", "Metal Heart", "Breaker", "Neon Nights", "Son of a Bitch", "Up to The Limit", "TV War", "London Leatherboys", "Restless and Wild", "Fast as a Shark"...and "Balls to The Wall". At 03:00 o´clock everything finished. Tired (a bit drunk) and happy. Waiting for next year :rolleyes:

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Concert reviews
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 04:51:27 pm »
Good review JoTaErre! What a envy! A pity that wind decided to hear metal too.

/me tooks the time machine and goes to MetalWay
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!