Author Topic: HELP, my brothers and sisters!!  (Read 10791 times)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
HELP, my brothers and sisters!!
« on: January 19, 2005, 11:40:50 pm »
Hi all!!

I think that all you can help me in a important subject (it is indeed to me). I'm studying a postgrade in Edition (edition of books), and to success I have to make a project, to describe something as it has to be real, although it maybe never will be a true thing. Today my teacher has approved my idea: A COLLECTION ABOUT METAL BANDS. Every book would be about one band, since the begginning of metal since now, with a lot of pictures, interview to the bandmembers, discography... and a CD with more important songs if I discover that it would be possible (y'know, problems with the rights...). If I do a dummy (a book as it would be, with the right covers but without text inside), this will be of THERION, of course!!  

Well, my questions are: which bands you think that have to be in such a collection (think in that I have to earn money or all will be fail... a fantastic band that nobody knows abour doesn't is useful!).
What you would like to see in the book?
How money would you pay for a good book with colour pictures about your favourite band?
Which size do you prefer for this?

I surely will have more questions, but I'll think it with time. You can help me a lot, because I need to know what can be sold and what not. Please, real answers, don't answer "I'd pay 1000$ for it!". For me, this is a really serious thing.

Thanks a lot!  

PS. Yes, I've copied and pasted from megatherion... excuse my lazyness :blush:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline MegaCharles

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.metal.hub.cl
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:04:26 am »
mm..therion....EMPYRIUM....TENHI...black sabbath

Offline stay heavy

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 01:59:14 am »
Hi Luth,mmm,what a topic!! do You have any idea about how many bands are important and that most of them sell a lot?first how many volumes are considered for this collection?second a chronological order is necessary,I mean since 70s so far,once we have that information we can start with the most representative acording to each period,a lot of bands(and fans)are (we)waiting for your research.I am with You of course!!
I WAS TAUGHT TO SHINE AND NOT REFLECT

Offline stay heavy

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 02:04:46 am »
We will need to poll ntsms members opinion.

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 04:28:39 am »
I´m thinking bands with a long carreer for example Iron Maiden. Articles about them always call my attention since it was the 1st metal band I heard and fell in love with it. They have been a big influence if not see all tha bands that have payed tribute to them or made covers! Who doesn´t know Iron Maiden?! They are amazing!
For a color book, with a detailed biography, band facts, reviews of their cd´s, best selling, former & current members, and lots of other things I would pay $125.  Now, I am not beign stingy! $125 is a lot here in my country and many cool books can reach those prices.

I will come back later with more ideas...

Offline stay heavy

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 05:05:53 am »
You are right,Iron Maiden is one of the best and more important bands ever!  maybe Chris´ biggest influence,so do not omit them! btw I have a big poster autographed for the members....in front of me!!!!  

UP THE IRONS!!!!

Offline stay heavy

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 06:22:01 am »
You will find different styles derived from heavy metal,but I think that these are the most pure heavy metal bands,70s Led zeppelin,Black Sabbath and Deep Purple,80s Judas Priest,Saxon,Motorhead,Iron Maiden,Metallica,Slayer,Anthrax and Megadeth,90s Pantera,Sepultura,2000s mmmm Tool!!, I know I "forget"a lot of bands but due to the budget.......

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 02:29:43 pm »
You are right,Iron Maiden is one of the best and more important bands ever!  maybe Chris´ biggest influence,so do not omit them! btw I have a big poster autographed for the members....in front of me!!!!   

UP THE IRONS!!!!
[snapback]2124[/snapback]

You met them?! :unsure: You saw them live?!
When I finally see them I can go ahead and die in peace...

(Off Topic!)

Offline stay heavy

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 04:38:08 pm »
Yes I was with them,"I won" a contest and only me and nine other fans had a session with the band members and they signed some posters,and they were kind enough to talk a little with us,nice!! and I have seen twice playin live.(sorry for the o.t. but I have to answer)

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 05:31:30 pm »
Yes I was with them,"I won" a contest and only me and nine other fans had a session with the band members and they signed some posters,and they were kind enough to talk a little with us,nice!! and I have seen twice playin live.(sorry for the o.t. but I have to answer)
[snapback]2148[/snapback]

:o I would like 2 see pics!

Offline stay heavy

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 05:38:35 pm »
I do not have pics from the session,but I will send You a pic of my poster with the autographs,ok? the contest was sponsored by a radio station and no cameras were allowed

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 05:41:20 pm »
I do not have pics from the session,but I will send You a pic of my poster with the autographs,ok?
[snapback]2150[/snapback]

Ok!
 :P

Offline Rat Cornu

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 02:23:54 pm »
Don't go offtopic please, for Luthien .......

For the band i also thought about Stratovarius, or maybe Nightwish(even if i despise Nightwish)

I continue thinking about it

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 11:45:47 pm »
Well, ideas appear and go from my mind. Now I have a better idea than before, but not concret yet.

Instead making one book=one band, I think that I can make a "Metal Encyclopedia". The way to do it is what I ask now. Which would be the favourite one for you?

1.A metal encyclopedia by genre. One genre (heavy, power, gothic, doom, black, symphonic...)=one book. The problems: a lot of books, and a lot of people would buy only one or almost not all. The problem about classifying: who says that this band is power or xxx or xxx? What if a band can be on more than one genre?

2.All-in-one. A big book with all genres and, of course, the story of metal. Problem: too hugh and expensive.

3. All-in-two. The same that point2, but in two books. No so big books, but also expensive.

What do you think about? It will be really interessant for me knowing your opinion, please, tell me!! I need to know what you think, what you would buy, what you would like to have!!! Pleaaase!!!
 ^_^
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Carlios

• http://
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 02:13:52 am »
I think the idea of the genre is good, and your problem could be solved easily, you can try to group the genres that are more alike... (i.e. heavy and power are not as different, as lets say black and power)...

Also, you can be a little unespecific (i.e. Instead of calling something sympho-melodic-power-astro-goth-glam-speed-prog metal, just put one), that's the problem with classifying metal IMO, the 10 different adjectives people put to each band when they classify it...

Also, most people agree that certian band is certain genre (i.e. I think most people agree that Therion is Symphonic metal, it's only a minority that that think it's Doom, or Trash, or whatever), and almost all the time a band labels themselves as some genre or another...

Also, another way you could do it is if you do it by country (i.e. Finland: Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius; Germany: At Vance, Edguy, Helloween; Norway: Dimmu Borgir, The Sins of thy Beloved, Theatre of Tragedy; Sweden: In Flames, Opeth, Therion), I think it could be easier...

Que la Ancylotoma duodenale te Acompañe / May the Ancylostoma duodenale be with You[/b][/u][/size][/font]