Author Topic: Multilingual living… (English)  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Xiquet

Multilingual living… (English)
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »
Multilingual living… (English)

Well, step by step I would try to participate something more in the forum…  ::)

It can seem a topic not very important… but today I was thinking on it.

First of all, I have been analyzing ‘my environment’. I’m bilingual, but I have grew up in a country ‘non-native English Speaker’… when I was child, English didn’t seems a crucial topic…

After a few years, someone can realise that is needed some knowledge of that language, but someone could manage his necessities in his surroundings without it.

Actually we are living into a interconnected society… where to know English as a second or third language could means, to have more opportunities for a lot of things, looking for a job, meeting new people, etc… I think that nowadays is essential be able to speak and to write fluently in English… and it will become more essential for the next years…

As you can read, I haven’t a very good knowledge of English… I’m trying to improve my level during these last moths… Trying to be able to speak as I want… better than speak “as I could”.

And knowing all this situation… I was thinking on friends who have had a child… colleagues that of course can improve his level of English, but that they never won’t be a ‘native English speaker’ and that ever they will have limitations speaking English… It could be a good idea speak in English with his child? What is your opinion about that? You would speak to your child in a non mother thongue?

I attached a link with the experience of some people…

http://www.multilingualliving.com/2010/04/23/non-native-speakers-can-raise-multilingual-children/

http://www.multilingualliving.com/2010/04/23/multilingual-life-non-native-speaker/

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Multilingual living… (English)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »
Hey there Xiquet,

well, I've heard that learning a second language is much easier for little children than for bigger ones or adults - so it will give them an advantage. I'm not sure whether this has to be at home - talking English to a baby feels strange when you're not a native speaker - but there are bilingual kindergardens which would be helpful.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.