Author Topic: Recent Movies seen! :alien:  (Read 143875 times)

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
Re: Recent Movies seen! :alien:
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 08:36:52 am »

Ewwww i just saw the american version of "shutter" with the dwason's creek guy eewwwwwwww it sucked!!

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 06:54:05 pm »
I saw an interesting movie yesterday, called Good Bye, Lenin!. It's about a German family and their life after fall of DDR. In the middle of everything there is a woman who wakes up after 8 months being in a coma, and her son, who tries to protect her fragile health by trying to prevent her from knowing about the faith of her beloved nation of East Germany.

oh and by the way
I find Alex (the main character) pretty cute  :blush:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 08:29:16 am »
Hey! I saw that movie a few years ago, and it's indeed pretty good. I loved the way of presenting the re-unification from a different perspective. :thumbup:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 01:57:44 pm »
pretty good eh? :D I liked it a lot too :)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 03:24:24 pm »
I saw it too, and I liked it a lot! It's definitively another view... and an interesting one, I may say  :ninja:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 04:11:38 pm »
I want to watch it. :ninja:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 06:20:28 pm »
you should :D but make sure to download the subs as well since the movie is in German. ;D

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 10:01:49 pm »
you should :D but make sure to download the subs as well since the movie is in German. ;D

I'm sure it can be downloaded dubbed in Spanish. I know... a terrible crime for most of you, but we're used to hear movies in Spanish (or Catalan)  ¬¬
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 01:53:05 am »

I'm sure it can be downloaded dubbed in Spanish. I know... a terrible crime for most of you, but we're used to hear movies in Spanish (or Catalan)  ¬¬
Well, Luth this only applies to kid's movies or movies that are planned to be a total commercial hit. And even in that case, you can probably find a subtitled version playing in the cinema at the same time. Otherwise, we're all limited to subtitles only. :whistle:
Well, that's at least how it works in Latin America.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 10:30:16 am »
Hi One,

if you use eMule or Lphant or any other P2P software to get the movie, you can have that movie dubbed in Spain very easily  :insane:

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 10:34:25 am »
Well TheOne, unfortunately that's not the way it works in this side of pond. Most (all?) movies are doubled... even those for adults. It's a real challenge to find a movie in it's original version with subtitles. So, you better look for a Latin American version.
Oh!.... and when I say doubled movies, I say doubled in Spanish from Spain (with the vosotros and the z's and everything!)... try to imagine Darth Vader or the last Joker speaking like that :blink: .
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 10:37:25 am »
Hi One,

if you use eMule or Lphant or any other P2P software to get the movie, you can have that movie dubbed in Spain very easily  :insane:

Although I would prefer the German version, of course. :shifty:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 11:08:57 am »
Well than I'm lucky coz I never watch movies that are not in english and have no subtitles in english.. usually I watch only movies in english with no subtitles.. or like I was watching movie 300 (speaking english, subtitles  in french..haha..  and I understoos it both :P )

@Misti: Good Bye, Lenin! Is a great movie. I've watched it at least 4 times on national tv (with slovenian subtitles) and I could watch it over and over again.

There's also another movie I find interesting. it's in french..and in german.. talks about how two armies - german and french spend their Christmas together..like there was no war going on.. it really moved me.  :blush: I think it's called Joeux Noël ( Marry Christmas).
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 11:56:25 am »
Yesterday evening I went to the cinema to watch ”Reprise”, a Norwegian movie. The cinema itself was that old fashioned one with small rooms and the soft continuous sound of the projecting machine in the background... I enjoyed that a lot. :)

It’s hard to say anything about it... One of the obvious things is that I liked the sound of the language a lot. (It was in original language, with Hungarian subtitles.) They even say in the movie, when they are in Paris, that Norwegian must sound like some hissing incomprehensible language to the foreigners. Well, this is only partly true for me, You know that I’m very much into languages, so I’ve been listening to the ”hissing” more than interested. :)

The story seems to be very simple. Two great friends, with ambitions to become great writers. It would be funny to have a linear story-telling, from the beginning to the end, like ”this and this and that happened and they lived happily ever after.” Life isn’t like this – so the film, as if it was the parody of the very same film itself, showed some variations to the same story, and sometimes didn’t even told us which one is real. (How strange, I’m reading a similar book right now.)

I liked the fact that the film was so real (in one sense). All this could have happened to me as well, and I felt like this mostly because I too wanted to write. But in the same time, I liked that the film was full of events that we are used to call ”miracles”, some everyday inexplicable mysteries. (For example the two guys like a lot a Norwegian writer, who is living alone, and never talks to anyone. They know that every attempt to get close to him is in vain, and they even fail during the one and only possibility to talk to him. And then, after a series of coincidences, one of the men suddenly finds himself in his very home, and they begin to talk.)

I do believe that this is how life is in real indeed. :)

I was a bit afraid to go to see the film, because I read that it’s a drama, and I didn’t want to feel down. As usual, my curiosity was stronger. Strangely the movie helped my slightly depressed mood of nowadays, when I was walking home in the rain, I clearly felt some kind of relief. :blink:

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 12:12:17 pm »
Hi One,

Although I would prefer the German version, of course. :shifty:

exactly  :biggrin:

my recommendation is to watch it in German ;) but it's your call, Jorge

@Lucy: I haven't heard of the movie you're talking about, but I must admit that it sounds pretty interesting. I'll try to get my hands on it some time and watch it :)

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 02:49:47 pm »
Oh!.... and when I say doubled movies, I say doubled in Spanish from Spain (with the vosotros and the z's and everything!)... try to imagine Darth Vader or the last Joker speaking like that :blink: .
Well, I've heard both characters dubbed to (our very own and Latin) Spanish and with their original speech in their original language. So, those aren't hard to imagine... :biggrin: But I know what you mean. I see it in every video game that is translated to Spanish. That's why I always set the language in them to be in English.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 12:04:45 pm »
Most (all?) movies are doubled... even those for adults. It's a real challenge to find a movie in it's original version with subtitles.
... and three days later Madrid proved me wrong :biggrin: . Yesterday, I went to see the last Woody Allen's movie: Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona. It turned out to be the original version with Spanish subtitles for the English parts (i.e. 80% of the movie) and... to my big surprise the cinema was crowed as hell, and there were no complains about subtitles or anything. Things seem to be changing and that's good :thumbup: .

Anyway, on topic: the film is very, very good. It's not the "typical" Woody Allen movie with lots of ridiculous situations taken to the extreme. It is far more subtle... it shows a couple of opposite stereotypes at the beginnig, shakes them up in a quiet torrid way and then makes fun of them for the rest of the film. It's so good, that I'll have to see it again to gather more details about the characters, the way art is shown and of course ... the city. Barcelona is almost everywhere in the film (it's a character of the film!). Highly recomended :thumbup:
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 03:43:01 pm »
Eya Alu!

I saw that movie on Saturday...as it could not be another way living where I live  :ninja:

I have to explain that this is not the normal thing, having more original versions than dubbed ones... in fact, I can't remember any other movie in which that fact happened  -_-   The version I saw was the only one I had in my own city (small city... remember...): dubbed to Catalan. Well, being dubbed to Catalan instead of Spanish is already a strange fact, I may say :insane:  Of course it's not the good option, but better than having it dubbed to Spanish: how the hell can you know where are the characters speaking in Spanish and when in English if all the movie is spoken in Spanish? At least I could knew that Catalan=English and Spanish=Spanish  :nana:

I can't fully agree with Al about the goodness of the movie: I liked it a lot, really, and I enjoyed the viewing... but I don't think it's an art work as so many people says... I'm sure that there are a lot of Woody Allen movies better than that. Despite that I really like the movie, the dialogs and the characters (and the place where all they happen, of course  :ninja: ). I don't like too much Penélope Cruz as an actress, but I think that her work is perfect: in fact, I'm sure that the character has been written according to the actress  :biggrin: Simply brilliant.

About Barcelona... yes, it's another character of the movie, and an important one, I have to say. The first half hour is a touristic guide of the city; but it could have been Paris, NY or Hong Kong, if Woody Allen has decided that. Of course, having "my" city in such important movie, made by such a genius (the director), is a proud motive....  :evil2:

Summarizing: a very good movie, more important to us because of the city, but not the best one of the director.

A movie to enjoy  :whistle:

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 05:17:43 pm »
Saw The Marsh over the weekend.

Kinda weird, this movie was released in 2006 and up to now showing in theaters  :wacko:

Anyways, I liked it! It's a scary movie and manages to scare the hell out of you in many scenes ( I like it when scary movies to that to me).  :thumbup:

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 09:40:41 pm »
August Rush
8/10. Great movie. No wonder it was nominated for an Oscar. It's a nice watch after the disappointment with "Wanted."
A little info on it here.