Author Topic: Eating out  (Read 7442 times)

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
Eating out
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:06:58 am »
This is a place to share Your experience about restaurant/bar/etc. visits. (Quite metalish again. :nosweat:)

Yesterday I was in a nice Asian restaurant with a Taiwanese friend, and two Hungarian friends who lived in Taiwan for long years. I say Asian because the restaurant seemed to be Japanese from the outside, but inside it was typical Chinese – my friends told me so.

When we took our seats, they brought us immediately a pot of hot, fresh Jasmine tea with four small cups. Mmmh... We’ve been wondering why the cups are so small, and finally one of us has found out: to keep the tea hot for as long as possible.

The menu was written in Chinese, Hungarian (even English maybe...?) and Japanese. I asked the help of my friends about what to order, and they recommended a rich soup called ramen. It looked more or less like this:

And it was delicious! :wOOt: We had rice with vegetables and little pieces of meat, that was great too, and something I don’t remember how was called... :blush: It was a smaller cup of soup, with meat and ginger wrapped in dough, cooked in the soup. Aah, ginger... :wub: For ”dessert” we had two spring rolls filled with vegetables, seasoned with soya sauce, which we shared fraternally and sisternally. :lol:

I learned a lot of things about sophisticated Chinese table language: for example if You would like to give a sign to the waiter that the tea pot is empty and You would like to have another one, You just put the cover on the bias back to the top of the pot. They really noticed that, and refilled our pot. That was nice. :)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
Re: Eating out
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:41:35 am »
Hey, this looks fantastic!  :wOOt:

What kind of meat was that? You know ... that I do not eat "red meat".
Now I want that soup too  :ninja:

The way of table language is great too! It is really sophisticated. And to be honest its very good because no one is embarrased in case that the waiter does not listen that You need something - like here in Western world.
But then again, who does.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:00:54 am »
You wouldn't eat that meat... it was pork meat. But they have the same soup with chicken and with only vegetables too, so I can take You there. :) (We should take one of my Hungarian-Taiwanese friends there too, the one You know already, just to be sure about the correct behaviour. :D)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:07:09 am »
Oh, yes, I do not eat pork ((:

That would be great! But - will I know how to behave amongst them?  :unsure:
Anyway the soup looks so fantastic! I cannot stop thinking of it! :D

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:11:54 am »
We are NTSMS members - if we don't know how to behave, we will simply have fun! :D And You already know how to eat with chopsticks, but they give You a Chinese spoon too. :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:26:02 pm by Lucy »

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:13:08 am »
Alright, we'll see :D

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:35:26 am »
Umm... yummy, Lucy! I love Asian food!  :yeha:  :wOOt:

I haven't eaten out anywhere too recently, BUT I have to share this with you... there's this enormously fancy restaurant in Bucharest which I go to with my parents, from once in a while, and although the food is magnificent, the best thing ever are the... desserts, obviously. My favourite one is called "Chocolate tears" and it consists in exactly that - cold chocolate tears, filled with a foamy orange cream, sprikled with orange sauce. OMG! It looks pretty much like this, besides that in the pic, the filling is also made from chocolate.

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 11:07:21 am »
Looks really delicious! :wOOt:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 12:08:57 pm »
Yes  :ninja:

Luckily I am not hungry now :D

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 11:22:06 pm »
Hi folks,

my latest big restaurant visit was in Shanghai where I went to the vegetarian restaurant at the Jade-Buddha-Temple. All the other times I ate in China I had to look for veggie food; here there was a whole menu full of it. (Or so they claimed. Another European guest told me that they served fish and crustaceans there, which of course no vegetarian would ever eat. :ninja:)

It wasn't easy to get the waiters's attention, but finally I ordered false duck and loved it. Then I ordered false beef with hot green peppers, fried shiitake and a spicy soup, expecting rather small servings. The waiter gestures at the shiitake in the menu, suggesting to me that they're out, so I order tea mushrooms with chard instead.

The servings were much bigger than I had expected, and instead of the tea-mushrooms I got both these and the shiitake. I didn't see any chance to explain to the waiters that I wanted only one of them, that I had ordered the tea-mushrooms only because the shiitake were out. But at prices of about 2 EUR per dish that didn't really hurt me. So I could try several dishes, even though I couldn't eat more than half of it.

The vegetables were amazing: The shiitake were extremely yummy, the chard a very vivid green and of a crisp consistence. The peppers and the soup were nicely hot, and thanks to the fake meat it was easy to get satisfied. Too bad I had to spend that day on my own - the meal would have been much more fun with some friends, and a seond person could easily have eaten his fill from these servings, too.

So, next time you're in Shanghai don't forget to visit 999 Jiangning Rd.!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 02:26:19 am »