Author Topic: Recent Movies seen! :alien:  (Read 148328 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Recent Movies seen! :alien:
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2009, 12:08:20 am »
The Great Dictator - 9/10.

It was just showed on arte TV in black-and-white HD. :blink: It would be hilariously funny if it wasn't so bitterly serious at the same time, and the final speech of the Barber mistaken for Hynkel is very touching. This one deserves being called a classic!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2009, 08:32:11 am »
I saw "The Great Dictator" in a cinema, several years ago, in a special show. Indeed, it's a great movie, a real classic... And you have to think that, in the moment of the making of the movie, it as known not as much information as now is; so, the merit is even greter! :ninja:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2009, 10:55:52 am »
Yes indeed, Luth,

you really have to consider that this movie was published in 1940, long before the full amount of Nazi-German cruelties was known to the world. It was far worse than Chaplin knew and could show at the time - and yet his movie is both unmasking and arousing.

A technical thing that really makes me wonder is how they turned this old movie into HD. Seems the original tapes must have been very fine-grained and they sent them through a high-resolution scanner. Now that I think of it this should be easier to do with black-and-white-movies than with coloured ones.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2010, 11:50:25 am »
Dorian Gray from 2009. I loved it!  :wub:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2010, 07:22:57 pm »
I really liked Sherlock Holmes. People who had read the books did not like the movie but since i have not read them i found it very good  :P
6 6 6

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2010, 06:48:27 am »
Dorian Gray from 2009. I loved it!  :wub:

Who wouldnt luve Oskar Fingal O'flaherty Willis Fucking Wilde!!!!

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2010, 03:47:24 pm »
Braveheart. 7/10.
Yeah, I finally watched it.
Sucks in terms of historical content. Pretty good as a highly romanticized (and violent) version of the tale of William Wallace. Worth watching.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2010, 05:19:20 pm »
Just saw The Wolfman this last weekend: Highly predictable, filled with undeveloped characters, and mediocre acting. Watch it only if you have a few bucks to spare and nothing else to do.
It is amazing to see how Anthony Hopkins has been playing the very same type of character again, again, and again during the last few years.
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2010, 05:34:10 pm »
Double post!
Yesterday, I saw the Shutter Island. Great stuff, man! The tandem DiCaprio-Scorsese did well again. This is the first American movie I have really liked in while. If you like psychological thrillers, this one is a must for you. :thumbup:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2010, 06:21:35 pm »
thanks a lot for the review! We were thinking about seeing this movie with my friend! Now I know we will go!
But then again, who does.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:43 pm »
I saw that one too, last Friday with my sister. Really enjoyable! :thumbup: Luckily in the very same time when I started to be afraid, she started to laugh, and with that she helped me a lot. Sisters... :wub:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2010, 11:35:30 pm »
Oh I understand that... now, we watched a movie which he bought - El Orfanato written by Guillermo del Toro. It's nice, the same way like Pan's Labyrinth but the same sad and crazy. The plot is very similar in something to Silent Hill. I knew that someone will have to die right in the beginning of the movie - yes, it was son and his mother... Oh dear Notessomes, in the end I was crying like a turtle. But I didn't want him to see my tears, I always feel so stupid when the feeling from the movie makes me cry.
I always cry with these "Hispanic" movies like 21 Gramms, Amores Perros and Pan's Labyrinth... they are so uneasy for the human mind and psychics. Very exhausting.

But I liked it a lot. :)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2010, 11:54:08 pm »
Huh? Spanish movies seen outside?  :unsure:  :whistle:

I have to see "El orfanato" yet... I've heard it's good! (the same with "21 gramms"  :unsure: :ninja:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:55:57 pm by Luth »
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2010, 07:56:22 am »
You'd be suprised Luthy but here are Spanish movies very favourable.  :)

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2010, 04:53:17 pm »
Indeed. When I was in Spain I was surprised by the image that the Spaniards have of their own films (it soooo bad!), while in other parts of the world Spanish films are highly appreciated. Although, well... most of the Spanish films that make it outside of its country are simply the best, and most of the crap remains indoors. Man, how would I wish that it was the same for the American films :bann:
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2010, 08:39:01 am »
Indeed. When I was in Spain I was surprised by the image that the Spaniards have of their own films (it soooo bad!), while in other parts of the world Spanish films are highly appreciated. Although, well... most of the Spanish films that make it outside of its country are simply the best, and most of the crap remains indoors. Man, how would I wish that it was the same for the American films :bann:

:lol3: poor You, how much I understand You with the angry about American movies. But You are from Canada, aren't You? Because in my opinion Canada and USA are absolutely different.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2010, 05:13:11 pm »
:lol3: poor You, how much I understand You with the angry about American movies. But You are from Canada, aren't You? Because in my opinion Canada and USA are absolutely different.
Hey Mirjam!
I'm an adoptive Canadian. I was born in Colombia, and still feel quiet Colombian. However, after having lived for 10 years in another country you also start feeling that country as your own.
Anyways, my complain was more about American films in general than any other thing. The fact is that it is very hard to avoid American crappy films, because many of them make it outside the US, which is very different from what happens with movies from .... say Spain or Canada or France or any other country.
Concerning Canada, yep there is a bunch of good Canadian films, but many of them have been out-competed and erased from the box office by the American ones. That's why most of the good Canadian films that make it outside the country are in French.
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #177 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12:29 am »
David Lynch - The elephant man  10/10 (1980). Excellent movie. I really loved the colours , the photography, the cast, the sounds and the music.
6 6 6

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2010, 05:29:50 am »

New Moon , OMG couldnt have sucked more

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2010, 02:22:24 pm »

New Moon , OMG couldnt have sucked more

yo yo yo
Not surprised. Heard "Twilight" also sucked.
Well, not surprising either, considering the fact that it's based off a series of books written for the sake of being sold. Stephanie Meyer is a sell-out. :P
Sorry if I offended anyone's taste, but I honestly find this to be the truth about Meyer and her books.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci