Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 280489 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #480 on: February 26, 2012, 11:21:27 am »
You're welcome, my queen! So at least someone could check they're still around - over here it's too cloudy. Which is a pity because the sight must be quite beautiful. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #481 on: February 26, 2012, 05:09:07 pm »
It was ridiculously cold outside last night. But while walking on one of our many adventures, my friends and I saw the beautiful arrangement of the heavenly bodies. We just stared at it for a while before realizing our hands were getting numb from the cold.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #482 on: February 26, 2012, 08:52:09 pm »
Oh, lucky me, I saw them! :biggrin:

Blazing Venus, bright Jupiter, and amidst them - slightly off the line, to form a triangle - the crescent moon. :yeha: Sacred beauty! :bow: :pop:

Gonna see them again in a few minutes, when I'm taking the Beast for another peeing walk. :lol3:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #483 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:50 am »
I saw them too last night, as we came home from the countryside. It was an exceptionally breathtaking view. :)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #484 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:29 am »
Hey folks,

is this true, Luth or Xiquet? I can confirm about Venus, Jupiter and the moon. Saw them on Monday night, when the moon was standing between the two planets. What an amazingly beautiful sight! I showed it to the guests of mom's birthday party and they all liked it.

So yes, APOD is right about the celestial bodies. Can you confirm about the earthly place?

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #485 on: February 29, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »
Hi Markus,

wow, wonderful picture!!!  :wOOt:

Although I didn't spot the place at first glance, with the help of Xiquet I've discovered that YES, it's Catalonia. And even more... YOU, O HIGH PRIEST AMONG THE HIGHEST OF ALL PRIESTS, have been there too!!! As it's Figueres, the town where we visited DalĂ­ Museum! I didn't see the dragon, but I think I've always walked by the other side of the building you can see in the photo  :biggrin:

PS. WOOOOW!!! Look at the photographer's gallery... It's amazing!! See another picture taken in Catalonia by him HERE!

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:06:53 pm by Luth »
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2012, 04:29:01 pm »
These pics I got few days ago :) It was a wonderful sight... the Moon was simply wonderful!

But then again, who does.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2012, 12:32:07 am »
Thank you for the confirmation, oh most Evil of Queens! And thank you for the other photo as well. Seems this guy has a hand for combining beautiful Catalan places with beautiful celestial impressions.

Kris, thank you for that moonrise! That's taken from your balcony, right? Lovely indeed! :)

Meanwhile, Venus and Jupiter are converging and forming a very beautiful sight in the West after sunset. Enjoy that if your local weather allows! and while waiting for the clouds to part, you might have fun with this.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #488 on: March 15, 2012, 08:57:01 pm »
Markus, I've been watching the telly, a programme conducted by the "weather man" of the catalan channel, and he was talking about the curiosity of Venus and Jupiter being so close... And he said: "and look at the picture the NASA uses to illustrate that phenomenon...". Of course, the picture was the one you showed us, the Figueres one! :roll:

Btw... yesterday we had clear skies (only my little city Calella, as all the northern and southern cities were covered by fog due to the low sea temperature and high day ones... I suppose we've some natural barrier  :nana: ), and I looked up at the sky: yes, there were those beauties, Venus and Jupiter very very close... I was in my way to yoga class, so it was a beautiful, peaceful sight to help me get into yoga mood  :wink2:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #489 on: May 01, 2012, 07:22:31 pm »
Yesterday I took my newest lens, the 70-300 mm, I went out to the balcony and I looked up. The Moon was there, a little more than half of it. I aimed the camera... and that's what I took! Next time, full moon and with a tripod!  :ninja:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #490 on: May 01, 2012, 07:29:24 pm »
Lovely, Luth! :thumbup:

Good luck with the tripod - that should yield an even clearer picture. Looking forward to that! :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #491 on: May 02, 2012, 08:21:16 pm »
That's completely wonderful!
But then again, who does.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #492 on: May 06, 2012, 12:05:03 pm »
The Moon, yesterday. Unluckily, it's not so good as the first one. I think the big problem is there was too light, because I used the tripod and took my time. I've asked in a photographers forum, to see what they think about it. Even so, beautiful, although a little dissapointing to me!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #493 on: May 06, 2012, 12:50:08 pm »
But you have no reason for disappointment, my dearest queen! you don't get many crater details at full moon because there are no shadows that would make the craters plastic. What you get is differences in surface brightness, for instance the dark maria, the "lunar seas". And did you notice the bright streaks pointing away from some of the craters? Do you have an idea what you photographed there?

BTW, that was the largest full moon we're getting this year.

Perhaps you can try a shorter exposure next time, or an even larger magnification, or perhaps even a mild grey filter. Or you take the pic in raw mode and improve the exposure with a raw editor later on.

Anyway, good work! :thumbup:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #494 on: May 06, 2012, 01:24:24 pm »
I took it in RAW, of course, and used a focus filter... But I can still darken it more, and use more filters... Do you want a pink Moon?  :insane:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #495 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:28 am »
Aww, stupid me! How could I assume that a professional like you would not use raw in the first place? :fish:

Pink moon? Ummm, no, thanks. :unsure: But by filter I meant physical filters for the lense.

Did you use a remote control or automatic release? Because when you push the button manually you might set the tripod into a short vibration which reduces image sharpness, especially at such high magnifications.

BTW, do make sure that you take a lot of photos of sunrise on the 6th of June! Not the 5th, not the 7th - it has to be the 6th... :ninja:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #496 on: May 07, 2012, 01:01:22 pm »
At night I don't think a darkening filter would do good... I can use a closer f, or less time of exposition instead. Apart from the fact I can't have the filters for all lenses I own, as each one has a different diameter (3 lenses right now). Damn diameters!! :ninja:

And yes, I used the 2 seconds automatic realese. I did all but even so, it was not as good as I wanted  :bawl:

Btw... 6th of June is Sunday. I don't know the reason why you want me to wake up before 6a.m. on Sunday, but I think I will dream with the photo, if you want...  :lol3:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #497 on: May 07, 2012, 01:09:01 pm »
I see, Luth. :) Well, you'll find a way of making your perfect moon shot! :thumbup:

This year the 6th of June is a Wednesday. And I want you you to photograph it because you will see something that won't be seen again on planet Earth for the rest of the century. You don't want to miss that, I suppose. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2012, 01:30:02 pm »

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2012, 02:07:43 pm »
Smart girl! :thumbup:

you'll be able to see Venus without optical aid - all you need is a solar filter or beautifully reddened sunrise. So it will show up on any sunrise photo you take, as long as the sun is big enough. So the magnification you used on your moon photos will do!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!